Travis Scott issues statement about Fatal Festival: “Devastated”
Following the deadly events of Friday, November 5, in which eight people died and dozens were injured in a crowd at the Astroworld Music Festival, rapper Travis Scott, who was performing on stage and had stopped his set several times to prevent the crowd from trampling members, issued a statement.
Scott said he was “devastated” by what had happened. He wrote: “I am absolutely devastated by what happened last night. My prayers go out to the families and everyone who has been touched by what happened at the Astroworld Festival.
“Houston PD has my full support as it continues to address the tragic loss of life.
“I am committed to working with the Houston community to care for and support families in need. Thanks to Houston PD, Fire Department and NRG Park for their immediate response and support.
“I love you all.”
As we wrote earlier on Saturday:
Panic hit the Astroworld music festival in Houston on Friday night as the massive crowd started to move forward. As a result, at least 8 festival-goers died and dozens injured, according to NBC News.
NBC reported: “17 people were taken to hospitals after the crash, and 11 who were taken by ambulance were in cardiac arrest, officials said. They added that more than 300 people were treated throughout the event on Friday at an on-site field hospital. “
50,000 people attended NRG Park for the Astroworld Houston Music Festival, hosted by popular rapper Travis Scott. It was the third year of the festival, which opened on Friday.
This year’s festival was slated to last two days, but Saturday’s lineup has been canceled, NBC reports.
Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña told reporters: “The crowd started to compress towards the front of the stage. This caused some panic and started causing injuries. People started to fall unconscious and this created further panic. “
Festival attendee Alleighya Odom, who is 21, told NBC: “It was scary, really,” adding that the crowd “was like this force on my back, this force continues. I started to watch around me, and there are people on the floor. There are people looking at me, like, scared, goofy eyes, like, “Please help me.”
Odom noted that Scott had stopped the show several times to enlist the help of the crowd. The Houston Chronicle also corroborated the account. This outlet tweeted the news saying, “IN DEVELOPMENT: At least 8 people died and dozens more injured after a crowd of around 50,000 people poured in during the rapper. @trvisXXthe performance of @astroworldfest, overwhelming security forces and resulting in one of the deadliest concerts in U.S. history. https://bit.ly/3BSGHhU “
According to NBC, “Earlier today several people were injured as festival-goers rushed through the front entrance, Houston NBC affiliate KPRC reported.”
Odom added: “As soon as people started running I was like, ‘Oh, no… this is going to be crazy. “
Photo by Erika Goldring / WireImage